Two Bridges – Wall Relief Installation – Lindsay Jelley 2010
The Two Bridges wall relief is a piece by Lindsay Jelley out of the wider public intervention piece Two Bridges with Paul Conneally.
The Two Bridges process saw Jelley and Conneally undertaking a series psychogeographic explorations and interventions across the public space between Anstey’s two ancient monument bridges – King William’s Bridge and Pack Horse Bridge.
The whole piece was funded by Jelson Homes on behalf of Charnwood Borough Council.
King Williams Bridge, Sheepwash Lane: Description of the Monument
King William’s Bridge is located at the eastern end of Sheepwash Lane, Anstey, and crosses the Rothley Brook. The bridge is located partly within Leicester City, and partly within Charnwood Borough.
The bridge is a Grade II Listed Building, and was scheduled as an Monument on 3 September 1987 (Reference Number: SM00195). It is not within a Conservation Area.
The bridge is probably 17th century, and comprises a small rubble bridge for pack horses with two round arches, and a pointed cutwater rising into the parapet on the upstream side. The parapet approaches are splayed out. The masonry is fairly rough with several pieces of slate. A few patches of cobbling remain on the pathway.
The Bridge was widened on the north (downstream) side in 1696 in order to carry the coach of King William III who was travelling from Leicester to Bradgate House to visit the Grey family. The arches are lined with brick where extended.
The map above is based upon OS Mapping with the permission of the Controller of Her Majesty’s Stationery Office. Crown Copyright. Unauthorised reproduction infringes copyright and may lead to prosecution. Leicester City Council Licence LA 078417.